For Last couple of Decades we have witnessed large scale degradation in the way we are being ruled and administered. We are failing on almost each and every front, be it law & order, Education & Employment, Healthcare & Sanitation, Human Development Indices, Infrastructure, Sports, list goes on…

1 First of All let us see, why is there so much of Communalism and Casteism in India?

It is because our election process allows it, our voters follow it and politicians exploit it. Election Process is actually vulnerable to Divide and Rule Policy and Our politicians have learned this art(of divide and rule) very well and have been taking advantage of this vulnerability for quite a long time, in fact, has been increasing with each passing day and we are dividing ourselves more and more on so many lines. Let me give you a classic example of this issue.

In India, If you want to win an election on most of the seats, 45% of votes are enough. Some of the candidates win even with 34% of votes when the contest is 3-4 cornered. It is very easy to lure 1, 2 or 3 major communities or castes of the area and polarize the elections. Plus, blind fan(most of the times based on Caste or Community) following of a party helps them cross magical numbers to win the election.

Let us take an example of Samajwadi Party Government of UP.

  • Entire Samajwadi Party Government was elected(in the state assembly elections of UP in 2012) by some 30% of voters. Rest of the voters had voted other candidates.
  • You will be surprised to know that voting in the election was hardly 60%.
  • So, actually, Samajwadi Party had only 18%(100% x 60% voting x 30% votes) of votes from total eligible voters of the entire state. Now, here is the point, why don’t they and their opponents get into communal politics.
  • Now, what about the opinion of that 82 % of voters who either did not vote for Samajwadi Party or voted for other candidates. Please don’t tell me, “why did 40% of voters not go to vote?”.  It is simply because educated people are so frustrated that they don’t have confidence on any candidate. Some, are wealthy rich or powerful, it doesn’t affect to them irrespective of political circumstances in the state.
  • To remain in power our so called “Leaders” are intentionally making us think, act, behave and vote on communal lines. This indirectly increases casteism and communalism in our country and lets them remain in power as long as they wish.

To make Money, our politicians are using this divide and rule vulnerability. Now to remove corrupts from public administration, we will have to make sure that they can’t use this Divide & Rule Tactics anymore.

Here I introduce you to smart solution to get rid of filthy, corrupt, communal, literate, etc. etc. in short “Inhuman politicians”

2 Introduction of Real Right To Reject.

Here is Suggest a New EVM and New way of Voting and Counting. Small Change in the EVM and the way we vote can change help us get rid of Corruption and Communalism/Casteism from our normal life.

  • There should be 2 buttons against each name of each candidate.
  • Colour of one button will be Green and another will be Red.
  • Each voter will vote for/against each candidate.
  • If a voter is rejecting the candidate he will have to press Red Button.
  • If a voter is choosing the candidate he will have to press Green Button.
  • The voter can Press Red Button against “one or more or all candidates” or can Press Green Button against “One or More or all candidates. But, he can press any one button against each candidate or can press no button against each candidate.
  • A voter can cast “no vote” by simply pressing blue button provided at the end of the list without pressing any green or red button against any candidate.

Demo of New Proposed EVM and Voting.

New Proposed EVM by Amit Jivani

Now, Let us see how this type of Voting and its counting will help us get rid of Corruption and Communalism and/or Casteism in India. Consider there is an election in which 100,000 voters go to polling booth and cast their votes. There are 5 candidates contesting elections.

Candidates +Ve Votes (Green) -Ve Votes (Red) No Votes Result and Comment
Candidate 1 70,000 20,000 10,000 +50,000 (+50%) Not winner but Good Candidate
Candidate 2 80,000 5,000 15,000 +75,000 (+75%) Winner
Candidate 3 35,000 5,000 60,000 +30,000 (+30%) Don’t know Many People
Candidate 4 40,000 40,000 20,000 0 (0%) Can still Contest Elections
Candidate 5 30,000 50,000 20,000 -20,000 (-20%) Can not Contest Some Elections for 5 years

3 Vote Counting and Result Declaration

  1. Negative Votes (Count of Votes Cast via Red Button) for each Candidate should be deducted from Positive Votes (Count of Votes cast via Green Button) of the Same candidate only. No Vote or No button pressed votes should be ignored.
  2. Net Votes Should be used to Declare the winner. A candidate who secures highest Net Votes Should be declared as Winner.
  3. If highest Net Votes among all the candidates does not cross 50% of total votes polled, there should be re-election.
  4. If during re-election no candidate secures more than 50% as net votes, then the candidate with Highest Net Votes from both the elections should be declared as the winner.
  5. Candidates securing negative votes should not be allowed to contest any election next five years in which voters(all or some) of the previous election are again voters. For Example. If a candidate is securing negative votes from Gandhinagar State Assembly Seat, he shall not be allowed to contest Gandhinagar Loksabha Seat, Gandhinagar Municipal Corporation Seats, etc. for next five year from the date of declaration of results.

4 Benefits

  • Dead End of Vote Bank Politics. The moment any political party or politician tries to do vote bank appeasement, he will start getting more negative votes from other communities. Ultimately there will be a politics of inclusiveness in real sense.
  • Harmonized Life: The Moment polarization of election stops, there will be harmony in normal day to day life and fewer communal clashes.
  • Counter votes: There will be almost equal blind fan following of each major party, which will intentionally cast negative votes against each other’s preferred party candidates. This votes will nullify each other.
  • Higher Voting: Nowadays, a lot of Educated people don’t go to vote as there is no way they can vote against all the candidates. They will come to vote and their sensible vote will have much stronger impact on results.
  • Complete Inclusiveness:  Imagine a candidate can win elections from just 55% of area of his constituency. What are the chances that he or she will visit remaining 45% area? If Real Right to Reject is implemented, there is nothing like strong hold of a candidate. They will have to work for the people of all the areas to avoid negative voting.
  • Reduced Corruption: Imagine real right to reject is implemented and a Seating MP is given one year’s ultimatum by multiple groups of people with full media attention to stop corruption from RTO office before the General Elections. Won’t he act to  stop it ?